Today, I was hesitant to write this post because it seems that there is no escape from the anxiety and uneasiness that Americans are feeling right now – BUT today, I looked to the Word and was encouraged. In the same way, I hope that you are encouraged too.
This is what I know.
- The Word of God will never fail.
- The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever. Isaiah 40:8 ESV
- We are all sinners in need of a Savior, and His name is Jesus.
- for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23 ESV
- God loves us with a fierce, unfailing, scandalous love with no partiality.
- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 ESV
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 ESV
- But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ – by grace you have been saved Ephesians 2:4-5 ESV
- God is not surprised by this election, for he knows the hearts of all men.
- Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure. Psalm 147:5 ESV
- Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not grow faint or weary; his understanding is unsearchable. Isaiah 40:28 ESV
- And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Hebrews 4:13 ESV
- My God is still the God that He says that He is.
- Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Psalm 100:3 ESV
- God is the ruler of all nations. He is in control.
- For kingship belong to the LORD, and he rules over the nations. Psalm 22:28 ESV
- Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand. Proverbs 19:21 ESV
- We are all called to pray, and God hears every single prayer.
- Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice! Psalm 141:2 ESV
- Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! 1 Chronicles 16:11 ESV
- With God all things are possible.
- Jesus looked at them and said, “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27 ESV
- God cares about the heart.
- But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7 ESV
What you and I are feeling is real. Although we cannot control how we feel, we can control our actions. I choose to exchange my unsettling feelings of anxiety and nervousness for the joy and peace that God wants to give and that God desires for us to have. Though my heart and flesh my fail, my heart still beats to please my God and to follow His commandments as faithfully as I can. Because let’s be real – our hearts should beat to please God, not the masses.
I choose to love the Lord my God with all of my soul, mind, and strength.
And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27 ESV
I will daily (maybe even hourly) decide to choose to give a good faith effort to love my neighbors like how Christ fully loves and accepts me.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35 ESV
I will give a good faith effort to love my enemies and to pray for them even though the notion is unthinkable at times.
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, Matthew 5:44 ESV
And I will gladly rejoice over the fact that first and foremost, I am a citizen of the Kingdom of God. I will also gladly embrace that I am a citizen of the United States of America and recognize the great privilege it is to live in this country.
But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. Philippians 3:20-21 ESV
Every day is a new day. We are imperfect people living in a world rampant with sin, but we serve a pure, holy, and blameless God who advocates for us. We are called to action! As long as His mercies are made new every morning (which they always will be 🙂 ), I will choose to fight for holiness on my good and bad days.
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23 ESV
Have faith, America. It starts with us.
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. Hebrews 11:6 ESV